Thursday, March 8, 2012

Growing Pains

Sigh. I can hardly believe it. My itty-bitty newborn is 10 weeks old today. Somehow we have entered into double digit territory. I'm diggin' each new phase she enters but am sad to wave goodbye to the newborn-ness.
Here we are at 10 weeks and she is full of sugar and spice. This girl keeps me on my toes all day long! I don't honestly know what I used to do with my time. These past ten weeks Savannah and I have figured each other out pretty well. She was sleeping 10-11 hours each night and had developed a wonderful 3-4 hour schedule.
Our supportive family and friends came for Savannah's blessing
UM... up until 2 weeks ago.

Savannah decided her mild temperament was getting a bit cliche. Day after day was the same old consistent naptime, feed time, and play time. Getting all the rest she needed to be giggly and simply the most awesome baby around. Yeah, I can see how that would wear on a baby. Say what?!
To say that this past week has been rough would be a gross understatement. Savannah would have long stretches of just being seemingly inconsolable, which has been so out of character for her. I would roll over to my phone and see 1:30/3:30am instead of 7:00am next to the screaming baby monitor. The usual 4oz feedings turned into only 1-2oz that were met by pursed lips, spit-up and a mischievous grin or an upset cry. It was tiring. We're still working through the feeding issues. As of yesterday, the good days far outnumber the bad days as long as I forget that she woke up EVERY hour last night only to finally begin our day by releasing a shrieking scream at 5am.
Her amazing cheeks and sweet personality make it all worth while to lose my beauty sleep and sanity. Good heavens, I love this baby girl.
She loves the attention
With this gorgeous spring weather, I love to take her on errands and I may find myself pushing her stroller for a few hours each sunny day. Our favorite hot spots? Grocery store, strolling through the shops at the outdoor Firewheel Mall, or through our beautiful neighborhood. I can tell already that we make a really great shopping team.
Grant and Savannah on their Blessing Sunday
Most thrilling event this week? Rolling my stroller onto the escalators in Dillards. This wasn't an umbrella stroller, mind you. Things couldn't have felt more wrong once my humongous travel system stroller was moving up onto the escalator. And I'm pretty sure that should not be allowed and that's what the elevators are obviously used for. Of course, that was a thought that ran through my mind after the fact. It was an especially humbling moment -- riding those escalators while looking like the biggest mistake for a mother. DANGit.
She is packing on the pounds and outgrowing her newborn clothes by the minute! She is recognizing faces and voices, and this girl loves her daddy.
All day long I'll make incredibly goofy smiles and squeals while receiving the most awesome toothless grins. Hunnybuns has seen sides of my personality and singing voice that no one will ever meet. I'll find myself feeling very raw and real. I can't believe how blessed I am to share with her my unreserved love, excitement, fears and concerns. I just can't wait until her grins turn into full belly laughs.
I'm working on adjusting to her ever changing schedule, figuring out how to balance everything, and taking it one day at a time.
Lunch date with Grandma and Grammie
Postpartum life at 10 weeks is going great! I slowly started back on the elliptical just shy of 3 weeks. I'm doing a mix of yoga, zumba, and running 3-4x week. I got back to my pre-pregnancy weight fairly quickly (thank goodness!) and I completely owe it to healthy eating, portion control, exercise and NOT 'eating for two' during my pregnancy. Okay, I take that back. I ate more than my fair share of McDoubles. Ironically, I've only had one burger since Hunnybuns birth and it tasted nasty. It was awful. As in, I couldn't even finish it which is a rare act of mine considering my mental psych won't let me leave a plate until its cleared. I'm confident we'll hook back up next pregnancy. Although the weight is off, I still have loose skin and abs. But I definitely feel like "me" again!
In the mean time, I'm just counting my blessings and am feeling so grateful to get to spend every day with this 10-week old love of my life.
Yours truly, Me

2 comments:

  1. Such wonderful moments! I love your honest view of Motherhood, the ups and downs, the sleepless nights-- BUT every bit of it is worth it to see them smile, squeeze your finger, or say I love you through their eyes. We love your family and can't wait to experience little Savannah first-hand!
    Good luck with the sleepless nights, Annabelle is still keeping us on our toes!
    I've found the sweetest moments are found when your exhausted and vulnerable, typically in the middle of the night, and you feel an overwhelming love for this child and the precious gift God's given you. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her laugh will be the most wonderful present... at this age !!!

    ReplyDelete