Saturday, March 10, 2012

Hunnybun's Crib

As soon as we learned the gender of our little Hunnybuns I feared images with the pink Peptobismol color spewed all over the nursery. I was hoping I wouldn't contradict myself but I wanted a baby room to be classy and sophisticated. Initially, I was imaging a monochromatic scheme of colors. I found some beautiful bedding that had a creamy pin-tuck satin fabric paired with a gorgeous dusty rose color. It became the inspirational piece for the nursery. We had so much fun searching for great deals and finds.
I snagged this chocolate brown changing table from Craiglist. I wanted a table with lots of storage beneath and one that could grow with Savannah. I loved the sleigh curves! My handyman took on the task of refinishing this to be a soft almond color. I switched out the wooden knobs for six pink glass and one metal knob. The results were beautiful! 
I also found this brown crib on Craigslist. We repainted it to be a soft almond color to match the changing table. I'm in love with the matching sleigh curves, scrolls, and spindle legs.
I'm all about camouflaging small windows with tall and wide curtain panels to make them appear larger and taller.
I stole this 80's brass chandelier from our dining room. I used a few coats of paint in the shade Antique White. I really wanted to glam it up by draping on some crystals but they were entirely too expensive for my budget.  I scored a few crystal beaded strands from here and a few individual crystals on clearance from a thrift shop.

Even though I was tight on space, I was really hoping to create a reading area in the nursery. I found the glider on Craigslist for a great deal and felt spoiled when my mom went to pick it up and gifted it for Savannah. We have quite the collection of classic nursery books over here! 
I switched the floor lamp from our TV room to the nursery. You can view this link for a great tutorial. I updated the shade by sewing on rows of ruffles! And when I say I, I really mean my mom because I have no idea how to sew.
Amc found these beautiful pink ornament balls in the Christmas clearance section at Joann's for 75% off! Cheaper than DIY.
I found some talented crafters from Etsy.com selling button monograms on canvas. I thought it would go perfectly with the nursery but wasn't willing to pay $100+. I added it to my list of DIY nursery ideas on Pinterest with hopes of creating the craft before Savannah arrived. I picked up some canvas, burlap, buttons, ribbon, and crafty flowers from Hobby Lobby. I spent a couple hours parked in front of the TV while selecting and arranging buttons to fill the 'S'. I asked my creative mother-in-law to help me glue ribbon onto the sides of the 'S'. I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out!
Walmart sold faux canvas photos on sale for $10, available in two sizes. I ordered three photos of the faux canvas and was very pleasantly surprised with the results! I mod podged (2) 8x10 photos onto canvas to complete the newborn wall gallery.
(2) 11x14's, (2) 12x12's, (2) 8x10's
I love the hand-made look of these darling floral balls! Here is the link for a great tutorial on how to make them. I used a hydrangea punch to cut out petals from scrapbook paper. I glued two petals together and then attached each flower to a styrofoam ball by using pearl tipped pins. I placed the Pomander onto a glass candlestick tied with a ribbon. It's beautiful and elegant - one of my favorites parts of the nursery!
I had a groupon to Mixbook.com and I ordered a 12x12 Maternity/Newborn book. Completing the book took quite a bit of time because there were so many options and details available to use. I included a short version of our baby girl's birth story and a few other memorable moments, all accompanied with tons of photos! 
I received these beautiful S-a-v-a-n-n-a-h blocks as a gift from a few girls in my church. It was SO thoughtful and I'm so happy they did it!
We painted a light grey onto the walls. Unfortunately, the color was too light that you couldn't even tell it was painted! Not good. We didn't want to go buy more paint and so we thought we could get creative and use the leftover grey paint from our bedroom and add a faux finish. It's sort of a darker grey with a hint of blue.
So, what do you think?
Yeah. Feel free to say it. It looks awful! It looked as though we had covered the nursery with ugly blue clouds. And since I was 9 months pregnant and amc had been doing all of the painting, I just didn't have the heart to tell him that it desperately needed to change. The girls from my baby shower came to the rescue when they told me about a great local painting company called Five Star Painting that was having a promotional deal. Amc wasn't bothered the slightest with the change of plans considering he wouldn't need to re-paint the room himself. We chose a light grey with a hint of pink. It's gorgeous.
So that sums up our recent junk-room-turned-nursey! I hope Savannah will grow to love this room as much as I do.
Yours truly, Me

8 comments:

  1. LOVE every part of the room!! Absolutely gorgeous and you definitely accomplished the sophisticated and classy look:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are seriously talented!!! love love love! arent you glad you got that done before lil miss got here?! PHEW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Yesss. I strategically made her nursery a priority before I stopped working. You know, the last time we'll have an income for the next 7 years. Aye!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very classy and sophisticated!! I love every detail of her room. You did a fabulous job! Looks like you may have a future career in interior decorating. ;) I would definitely hire you to help me out because I'm seriously lacking in decorating skills.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so talented! I love everything! It's easy for me to see rooms like this and say "Yes- this is what I want!" but I can never put it together piece by piece- I wish I had this talent like you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your style!! I actually made my husband sit down and look at it to show him that you can still have a classy and stylish room on a budget! He's not so much into the whole refinishing thing like I would like to be :) I love the colors you chose, love the photos, and love those chubby cheeks on that sweet little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cow!!!! Janene you guys are AMAZING! That is the most beautiful nursery I've ever seen! Very classy and elegant, I love it! I'm jealous & wish little baby Claire's room looked as good as this! You and your hubster are quite talented!

    ReplyDelete