Saturday, January 8, 2011

Cinnamon French Toast with our 'Better-than-Kneaders' Syrup


If you're familiar with the Kneaders bakery found in Utah then you must have had a heart to heart with their unlimited french toast and infamous, tasty, caramel-like syrup. Supposedly they used to make it with buttermilk. Now, they use evaporated milk with the number one ingredient being water.
Shame on them.
A few years ago, me and my handsome sou chef made our own version. We love it so much and haven't returned to Kneaders since! Okay, I lied. I totally have....To buy their extremely delicious Cinnamon Burst bread. Huge, soft, and oh so yummy. It's the best bread for this french toast. I did use french bread loaves this time because I haven't found a yummy replacement for the Cinnamon Burst bread since moving to Texas. This recipe gets whipped up a couple times each year, and every time without fail I've only been able to have 2 slices. It's rich. It's somewhat heavenly.
And it'll probably be in my oven this weekend.
Buttermilk French Toast
2 loaves Cinnamon Burst bread (2 French loaves work as a great substitute)
6 large eggs
1 1/2 c. buttermilk
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. nutmeg
1 t. salt
1/3 c. white sugar
1 T. vanilla
4 T butter & olive oil, for frying
Heat oven to 200 degrees. Combine eggs, buttermilk, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, sugar, and vanilla in mixing bowl. Whisk together until thoroughly combined.
Cut bread on an angle into 1" thick slices. Dip in egg mixture until soaked through. Once finished with soaking all slices, combine butter and oil and heat on griddle to medium or medium-high heat. Cook slices until golden brown on both sides. Keep warm in oven until ready to serve.
'Better-than-Kneaders' Syrup
1/2 c. butter
1 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. white sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 t. baking soda
1 t. vanilla
In a large saucepan, combine butter, buttermilk, and sugar. While stirring regularly, bring to a boil. Add baking soda and vanilla, it will foam up and bubble at this point. Let boil for 3 minutes, stirring continuously. Remove from heat and cover. It's ready to serve!
Carmelized Pecans
1/2 c. pecans
1 T. corn syrup
1 T. butter
2 T. brown sugar
1/8 t. cinnamon
In a saucepan, combine corn syrup, butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon on medium-high heat. Once it's bubbling, toss in pecans. Continue cooking the coated pecans for 5 minutes. Stir constantly. They will be golden brown and will smell sweet and toasted.
Whipped Cream
1 C. heavy whipping cream
1/2 C. powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
1/2 t. almond extract
Before you're ready, place your mixing bowl (metal works best) in the freezer for 10 minutes. Then, add whipping cream and powdered sugar in bowl and being mixing. This part takes a little while. I always grab a male who looks all too eager to help to do this part. Once the cream begins to form peaks, mix in extracts. It's ready to serve. Of course, if you still have everything else.
Yours truly, Little Bakin' Blonde

7 comments:

  1. I. NEED. THIS.
    Come make it for me.
    And play with me while you're at it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know i know! I think we'll get out there around July, when you'll either have the most cutest big baby belly ever or the cutest little baby ever! We have god timing, huh? Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janene,
    Your blog is constantly making my mouth water! You might not know this but I stalk your blog a lot. 1. Because I love keeping up with your life. 2. I love your pictures 3. Because my taste buds go crazy. 4. I always love your music! You have a fantastic blog to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Janene! I just found your blog! Um... way good lookin food there! Holy moly. And hey... are you living in the Houston area?? Where are you? I'm seeing the Dickens on the Strand stuff and thinking you can't be too far away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moriah! You are the cutest thing alive! Seriously, your comment makes me miss you. I hope you'll want to come out to Dallas once we move there in 5 months, I promise you'll have fun! Ps, I love to blogstalk your face too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Umm...YUMMMM!!! This looks absolutely delish!! Once again, there goes the New Year's resolutions! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was looking at your mom in laws retreat giveaway and found your blog! This post totally cracks me up. I have the real Kneaders recipe if you want it! :) it's pretty simple. Email me or Facebook me and I'll send it to you. You and Aaron look so cute together! Congrats on Baylor!

    ReplyDelete